In a study by the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) found that:
- For nearly one-fifth of the respondents, the most convenient floor plan was having one level to navigate.
- Some 62% planned for social activities, which can influence design decisions if they intend to entertain guest.
- Those who were not likely to stay in their homes mentioned stairs as a concern more than those who were likely to remain (33% vs. 14%).
- Significant vision and hearing loss occurs in about one in three adults ages 65 to 75.
- It is estimated that relatives provide about 80 percent of the caregiving for older persons. Often they must make changes to accommodate the physical needs or limitations of a parent or older relative. One in four (26%) of the participants said they had or will have to modify their homes.
- In an AARP study, 70 percent of the respondents who had made modifications to their homes cited safety as the primary reason.
Home Self Survey
- How long do you intend to stay in your home
- How long have you lived in your home
- When was your home constructed
- What do you enjoy most about your house
- What obstacles do you face with daily living activities
- What barriers do you encounter in you path of travel once you arrive at your house to your front door or entryway, kitchen, dining, bathroom or bedrooms
- Are there areas of your house/yard you no longer can access
- Are there activities you no longer can enjoy due to a barrier
- Do you use a walker, cane or wheel chair
- Do you require assistance in the bath room to use the toilet or tub/shower or need assistance to transfer in or out of the tub/shower or toilet
About Your Project
- When do you plan to start making the modifications to your home?
- Will others be helping you make the decisions of which modifications to make?
- Do you have a date of when the modifications should be completed?
- What is the budget for these modifications?
- Will your insurance help pay for these modifications?
- Do you have orders from your Doctor that these modifications need to be made?
- Do you know of a Contractor you would like to perform this work on you home?
- Are the aesthetics of your home important to you and are part of your decision to make these changes?